Life in the Country

Taking one day at a time with kids, cattle, and farming!



Back to the Grind!

on Monday, January 5, 2009
















Well, we're back at school. We are all tired tonight from trying to get back into the swing of things! And I had 3 of my 5 students at the elementary gone today. What am I going to do tomorrow when they are all back? I will be exhausted then! I had myself prepared for the homework to start up again..... and it did... in full swing! Brooke is really good about getting her homework done. When I tell her to sit down to do it, she does. Not too often does she argue about it. Tonight was a light night for her, only a science worksheet and studying for a spelling pretest. Not even any other tests this week - that's a change! There are some weeks that she has 3 tests at a time.

Then there's Blake......... homework + Blake = TRAIN WRECK !!!!! He absolutely, positively HATES homework! He thinks of every excuse to get out of it - he doesn't feel good, his back hurts, his arm hurts, his hand is tired, he's hungry, he's thirsty, he wants to finish watching a show, he's gotta pee, he's gotta poop, he's not feeling good..... you name it, he's come up with it as an excuse. He has homework every night (except Friday), plus he has a book to read. Did I mention that reading + Blake = TRAIN WRECK #2! Well it does for sure. He hates to read almost as he hates to write his spelling words 4 times each. I dread homework time. It's a constant fight with him.

I often think that he will learn from Brooke's good example. What am I thinking? That is just so not how it is happening! Brooke picks up her toys when she's done playing. He doesn't. Brooke puts her wet washrag in the hamper after her shower. He doesn't, he'd let them pile up until he couldn't get in the shower anymore. Brooke eats whatever I fix. Blake doesn't - sometimes I think he's going to turn blue, you know the color of the Kid Cuisine boxes! Brooke gets up in the morning on her own. He doesn't, I have to almost pull him out of bed by his feet. Brooke doesn't argue with me. He does. Brooke does her homework without much fight. Not Blake. Brooke helps with chores. Blake does if he can ride his four wheeler to the barn. Brooke takes a shower every night. Blake has to be hog-tied to even get into the vacinity of the bathroom to take a shower.

Ugghhhh! Why can't they act the same? And act like Brooke preferably....... For example, we've been sitting here in the kitchen for 25 minutes and he only has 4 of his spelling words written four times each. Damn, we might be here all night! And I'm ready to go to bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Runaway Farm said...

At least you got one doing the work! Oh I dread those days to come of homework. We have a hard time now if something is sent home and we are given several days to complete it.

Cathi said...

Blake sure looks like he is enjoying doing homework in the picture. But I guess I couldn't see if you have him tied or taped to the chair. Thank goodness, girls, like homework. My boys still don't like it, especially Erik. Oh well, I just hope they're nice boys, or at least they try to be sometimes, or at least they're not in jail, or should I say at least not yet. Just kidding, kinda. No wonder I have to color my hair.