Life in the Country

Taking one day at a time with kids, cattle, and farming!



Back from a short break.....

on Monday, July 14, 2008

Life around here has been way too busy. It scares me to think that in a month we'll be going back to school. We have been busier this summer than any summer before - some things by our own choice, some definitely not by choice. I'll try to recap some of the important events!

1. Softball is over. Both Brooke and Blake's teams got 2nd in the tournament. Brooke wasn't able to play in her last game due to her 4H Steer Auction, but Blake did get to go to his game. They were both happy that they got 2nd place. They liked their trophies.

2. Brooke is doing well with her braces. She doesn't complain too much about them. Tonight, though, she did realize that there will not be any MilkDuds on Halloween. Kind of bummed her out!

3. Blake is growing like a weed. He has been sleeping a lot more lately and eating a lot more, too. Those are definite signs of him growing. I think he's about 2 inches taller than he was at the start of summer. Speaking of getting taller, Brooke is darn near looking me eye to eye!

4. Mercer County Fair was last week. We survived our first fair week. We got up well before 6:00 a.m. every day and left the house by 6:30 a.m. Stayed the WHOLE day at the fair with the steers. Lots of showing, washing, blowing, and grooming. More sweating than I ever imagined, and I HATE to sweat. Everyone is still tired!

5. Off to the Ozarks this week. Leaving Thursday night and coming back Sunday. Just a quick trip, but we love going down there. Planning another short trip in August.

6. We've been busily cleaning out Mom and Dad's house. What a job. All of us have spent a lot of time together going through things. We have found things we didn't even know we had. Mom was an avid pig collector, and we've found boxes upon boxes of pigs that we packed away - some of them were packed without her knowing! Shame on us, but come on, how many pigs can one house display?!! We've found old pictures, books, letters, drawings - you name it, we've found it! I never thought we would be cleaning out their house this soon, but we are glad that Kevin and Kathy are moving out to the house. It's still so hard to believe that both Mom and Dad are gone. I honestly don't think that it has hit me yet. I'm afraid of what will happen when it does.

These are just a few of the things that have been keeping us busy. I've had problems uploading pictures, but I will give it another shot in the morning and see if I can get them to work. I have several that I need to post on here. Until next time....

1 comments:

Runaway Farm said...

Boy! You have been busy but I'm glad you are taking a "vacation" you need to relax before school. Have fun and I hope to have your bird project done by the time you get back -- you didn't know it was going to take me this long did you?