Life in the Country

Taking one day at a time with kids, cattle, and farming!



Just a Quick Update

on Sunday, June 29, 2008

I've had a hard time getting myself to get back onto blogging. Since Dad passed away suddenly 2 weeks ago on Father's Day, I haven't been much in the mood to do anything, especially blog. But I thought I better give a quick update so you know that I am still here. Our family is going through many changes right now with Dad's passing. Change sucks. No matter how you put it. It simply sucks. My family has been spending a lot of time together, and I think it's been really good for us. We are surrounded by each other and I think that's important right now. We are an extremely tight family and are depending on each other to get through this. I never imagined that Dad would die so suddenly. We feel like "orphans" with both Dad and Mom being gone.

We survived our trip to DisneyWorld. We had a good time. The kids were really good for the most part. They liked flying. Blake finally got warmed up to all of the big rides (after chickening out on 2 of them). Brooke was game for anything. But heat and Brooke aren't best friends. She is very hot-blooded so by about Wednesday she was ready to come home. I took lots of pictures. It's sad because the whole excitement of our vacation doesn't seem much too important right now. In fact I don't know if I could tell you what we did on each day. I do have a lot of pictures to post once I get motivated.

Brooke and Blake survived their first Steer Show yesterday. Jeff and Grandpa John went into the show ring with them since it was their first show. No crying or dropping of the lead rope so I call it a pretty successful day! There were lots of animals and people and I thought the kids did really well. 4H Fair is the week after July 4th so we still have lots of work to do - including a 4H Family Poster that I haven't started on and some Aerospace project that Blake has to make to present to the judge. I'm not good at those types of things. Guess I'll throw together something this week!

This is our last week of our regular softball season. Tournament is the same week of the 4H Fair. That will be fun, huh?? Not. Blake hit the game winning hit and had an RBI that won the game last week. I wasn't there due to Brooke's dance recital, but I heard all about it! Several times! He's pretty upset with me for not being there, but I can't be both places at once - as much as I wish I could!

One of my dear friends sent me a card after Dad died with the most meaningful quote I think I've ever heard. It just sums Dad up in a nutshell. I wish everyone had the opportunity to know my Dad. He was truly the most wonderful and generous person I have ever known. There will never be anyone that can fill his shoes... and no one that would ever try for that matter because they all know it couldn't be done. I thought I'd share it with you.

"He didn't teach me to live. He lived and let me watch him do it."

I promise to post some pictures in the next couple days. Until then...

2 comments:

Keely said...

Chrissy, I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. I couldn't believe it when Mindy called to tell me. I can not imagine how hard these last few weeks have been for you. I'm glad you have the rest of your family around for comfort and support. Keep all your wonderful memories of him and your Mom in your heart and they both will always be with you. I know it's hard to believe, but keep your head up, brighter days will eventually come...

Glad to see you're 'back on the blog'. Missed reading about your adventures. :)

Runaway Farm said...

Glad to see you back! I'm glad you're hanging out with your family so much to help you through this rough time!

Sounds like your weekend went well but was busy!

I'm glad I picked that quote for you -- I thought it was fitting but just didn't know "how fitting" it truly was for you!

Hang in there!