Life in the Country

Taking one day at a time with kids, cattle, and farming!



2 Months Today

on Sunday, August 17, 2008

















Two months today - June 15 - Sunday - Father's Day - we lost Dad. It just does not seem possible that he is gone. Nor is it right that Mom is gone, too. I wish everyone could have known him. He was the most caring, generous, kind, and funny person I have ever known. I was so proud to have him as my Dad. I wish I could have told him how proud I was, but I didn't get the chance. I'm not the kind of person to express my feelings to people. I don't tell the people I love that I love them near enough. I'm not the kind of person to give hugs and kisses every time I see people either. I need to change my ways. I need to be that person. I need to tell everyone that I love them. I need to give hugs. I need to give extra kisses. I would give anything to be able to hug my Mom and Dad one more time. I'm only 34 and I still need/want my Mom and Dad. It's just not right that I don't have them here with me. I'm trying to find comfort in knowing that they are both together.... and it does make me feel better. They were absolute best friends, married 50 years, devoted to each other. Dad could have walked away many years ago, but he didn't. He stood by my Mom's side for 25 years with her MS. He fed her, changed her, moved her, brushed her hair and teeth..... he did everything for her that she couldn't do for herself. Yes, he occasionally bit his tongue when she asked him 10 times to move her legs or 10 times to feed the birds - in the middle of a pouring rain, blizzard, and a 110 degree day - but you know what? He did what she asked everytime - maybe not at the second she asked (and she wanted him to!), but he did it. He was such a remarkable person, as was Mom. I miss them terribly. I love you Dad. I love you Mom.

2 comments:

Cathi said...

Gee Thanks :) I always look about 100 times to see if you updated your blog, but today I couldn't even read it. Kinda hard to read with your eyes filled with tears. Even though we never really tell each other, we just seem to know how the other feels. (Well I hope I'm reading everyone right.) I know mom and dad knew we thought the world of them and loved them and we always knew they loved us.

Mindy said...

They knew!