Life in the Country

Taking one day at a time with kids, cattle, and farming!



Our 1st Day

on Monday, August 25, 2008

Here is just a little recap of our 1st morning getting ready for our 1st day of 2nd and 4th grades:
6:05 a.m. - Blake comes bounding our bedroom and jumps up on our bed already starting to babble!
6:10 a.m. - Blake has his clothes on. He's wearing shorts of all things - he NEVER wears shorts, he always wears jeans! I even had his clothes laid out for him!
6:20 a.m. - Blake is downstairs eating breakfast - apple pie mind you, no supervision of his parents who are still trying to get out of bed
6:30 a.m. - Blake is back upstairs telling me he's ready to go to school
6:31 a.m. - Brooke wakes up, asking WHAT Blake is doing up so early and WHY does he have to talk so much!
6:35 a.m. - it's finally time for me to jump in the shower and get ready for school myself. Well, that's a little delayed because Sophie decided she really had to tinkle... and she did it on my bedroom floor! Has she ever tinkled on my bedroom floor? No. Never. Not once. Why this morning?
So I get that scrubbed up and start getting ready for school. Blake is playing his playstation by now, with his shoes on and his backpack by his side (it's about 6:45 a.m. now). Brooke is getting ready, too.
7:00 a.m. - Brooke goes downstairs to eat breakfast. Yes, she decides she wants apple pie, too. Only takes 2 bites and says she is full. I tried to tell her that she would be starving by lunchtime, but she thought for sure she would be fine. I think the nerves were talking a little bit.
7:30 a.m. - I am taking their pictures outside. They hate that part. Then Blake realizes he's forgotten to brush his teeth so he heads back in the house. And, low and behold, gets toothpaste on his shirt.... so off he goes to change his shirt, very unhappy that now he can't wear his "good" shirt on the first day of school. Meanwhile, I am on my hands and knees in my bedroom trying to get Sophie to come out from under the bed so she can be put in her kennel. Such a fun game we play every morning and every time we get ready to go somewhere.
7:45 a.m. - we are off! Finally!

We all had a good first day of school. Of course we did, we got out at 11:30! Brooke and Blake both seem excited about school and really like their teachers. Blake told me his goal is to never get on "yellow" on his behavior card. He wants to get all smiles on his behavior calendar! Oh that would make Mom proud! Brooke has never once gotten into any type of trouble. 4 years of never "turning her ticket" or getting any time of reprimand. If she did, she would probably drop out of school!

So tomorrow is our first full day. They are already looking forward to it! I have pictures of them from this morning that I will post later. Until then....

2 comments:

Cathi said...

Well it sounds like everyone had a great day. Try making your Junior in high school smile for a picture and oh yeah, I made him go change into a NEW t-shirt for the picture because what does he wear to the first day of school - yep a shirt he wore 7000 times last year and looks like it would fit Rachel. He could have three t-shirts to his name because if he likes it he wears it over and over. Rachel on the other hand had to have earrings that matched and everything, that goodness for little girls who care about their appearance - sometimes. Hope tomorrow is another good day, if you're anything like me, I take one day at a time. If the school or police don't call, let's call it a GOOD DAY.

Mindy said...

I'm exhausted just reading that before you even got to school! I imagine my day is going to be like that tomorrow except with 3 people doing crazy things! I hope you're day is good tomorrow and I hope Blake stays on his color!