Life in the Country

Taking one day at a time with kids, cattle, and farming!



My future 10 year old!

on Saturday, August 16, 2008

Gosh, I guess it's been a while since I've posted, huh? I was kindly reminded of that by my sister, but I don't understand why she wants me to post - she knows everything that happens here.

Where has the past 10 years gone? Brooke is going to turn 10 next Sunday and it's just so hard for me to believe! We went birthday shopping last night to pick up a few things she asked for. Her birthday list was a combination of more "grown up" stuff and still the girlie stuff she loves - Barbies! The girl plays with Barbies all the time! She also wants her ears pierced - for the 2nd time!! I remember when she got them pierced for the 1st time. She was 5 and she cried after the first ear was pierced and didn't want the 2nd one pierced! Pretty sure we won the award for the longest time it took to pierce a little girl's ears!

We went out for supper last night with our friend Joel, and Jeff made the comment how much Brooke has changed. She is going through a growth spurt - definitely shooting up and thinning out a little bit. He also said that he hasn't seen her that much this summer. I got to thinking about that and ..... he's right! He works all day, and by the time he gets home, she's usually off somewhere. Like right now.... where is Brooke? In St. Louis at Six Flags! And not with us!! She is experiencing her first "weekend away" with her friend Shania. They left at 1:00 yesterday and will return Sunday afternoon, so it really is a short trip. Nevertheless, I was a little nervous when I dropped her off! I think this is a little of our conversation on the way to town-

"Now, remember, Brooke - use your manners and be polite. Say please and thank you. You have your own money to buy your tickets and meals, but I know that Angela probably won't let you use it, but be sure to offer. Make sure you talk slowly so they can understand you. Stay right with them, don't wander off. If you think you won't like a ride, don't go on it. Take care of your teeth - make sure you brush AND pick! Are you listening, Brooke Ann? This is serious. Are you sure you want to go? I can't drive to St. Louis to get you. Well, I can, but I don't really want to. Ok, so you know everything ---"

Then she told me to be quiet. Typical.

1 comments:

Mindy said...

I'm hyperventilating for you! Overnight trips -- geez I'm concerned with sending mine 2 blocks away for a few hours -- I can't imagine it! I'm sure she'll be fine but I sympathize with you!