Life in the Country

Taking one day at a time with kids, cattle, and farming!



Getting Started.....

on Sunday, November 16, 2008

It seems that Christmas is in the air all over the place! I saw my first Christmas commercial on tv on November 1st. It seems that it gets started earlier and earlier every year. I have actually started a couple things myself. Christmas cards are ordered via Shutterfly. This is for sure the earliest I've ever ordered cards. Usually I am the one that is mailing them out on Dec. 23rd hoping for a Dec. 26th delivery to family and friends. I actually might be able to get them out a bit earlier this year. But, if you know me at all, you know that just because I have something "in hand" doesn't mean it will get done! But I am shooting for that goal! Last night I even did a little bit of Christmas shopping. Brooke was at a sleepover and Blake had a friend over at our house so I left all the boys home and headed to town myself. That doesn't happen very often so I thought I better take advantage of the opportunity to go somewhere by myself. I wouldn't say that I have a great start at things, but at least I do have a couple things bought.

As far as Thanksgiving, I already know what I'm taking to Kevin and Kathy's. I decided that I better "practice" today by making a peanut butter cream pie. The last few meringues that I've made have weeped and ended up being about 1/2" thick. This one did weep a little bit, but not as bad as usual. It wasn't too thick, but I think doubling the recipe would help that tremendously. I am planning on taking 3 cream pies (banana, coconut, and peanut butter) but we'll have to see how it all goes. I need to talk to someone who is really good at making meringue and see if they can give me some advice as to how to help my pie problem. (By the way, as I'm typing about pies, I'm watching Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders on CMT and a girl is being sent home because her body fat is 22% - maybe she'll feel better if she comes over for a piece of pie!)

I am planning on getting my Christmas stuff up next weekend. The weekend after Thanksgiving will be way too busy with more shopping and birthday parties. You better get shopping, too!

1 comments:

Carrie said...

HELLO-I can leave comments now. Wondered if you wanted to go Xmas shopping with Cathi and I tomorrow. OOPSY-forgot it's Monday and you have to work. So sorrrrryyyy. Maybe you prefer I keep my comments to myself.