Life in the Country

Taking one day at a time with kids, cattle, and farming!



Yummy! Yummy!

on Sunday, November 9, 2008


I absolutely, positively LOVE caramel apples. I'm a frequent visitor of any story that sells homemade caramel apples, especially Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory around the holidays. I think they are such a great treat. I have always wanted to make my own, but haven't been able to find a recipe that I really like. I like the caramel to stay soft and chewy, not get hard as a rock! Well, I think I found the right recipe, and I am so excited! I used Blake as my "taste tester" since he has such a sweet tooth. He thought they were really good, too! Brooke was even able to eat some of an apple with her braces on. Soft, chewy, melting in your mouth...... We are taking them to a weiner roast this afternoon, and I'm anxious to see if anyone else thinks they're any good!

In case you want the recipe, here it is!!!

Homemade Caramel Apples
1 c. real butter (not margarine)
2 c. brown sugar
1 c. karo syrup
1 can sweetened, condensed milk
2 t. vanilla
12 apples
wooden sticks

Clean apples. Insert a stick into each one. Set aside. In a heavy sauce pan, melt butter, brown sugar, syrup, and milk together. Bring to a boil over low to medium heat. Do not heat too quickly. Stir constantly, 25-30 minutes. Boil together until a candy thermometer reads 248 degrees. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Coat each apple with caramel. Set caramel apples on buttered wax paper to cool.

*Thanks, Tricia, for the post about this recipe!

0 comments: