Life in the Country

Taking one day at a time with kids, cattle, and farming!



Recap

on Tuesday, April 22, 2008


Well, our Sunday sure started out good. We had great intentions of doing a bunch of stuff outside. The kids and I headed down the road to John & Wanda's on our 4 wheelers. We wanted to watch the guys setting the dock in the pond. It takes a while to ride 4 miles on 4 wheelers when we have so many stops on the way due to a hurting thumb from pushing on the throttle to an itch under the helmet to stopping on every bridge to watch the creek flow by. We finally made it and as we were 1/2 mile from home, our day went from good to bad to worse. Erik (nephew) and his friends blew past us on their 4 wheelers so we (Blake and I) stopped alongside the road to watch them "show off". Well I guess Brooke wasn't paying attention and she came up behind Blake going about 15 mph. Her 4 wheeler hit the back of his and threw her up in the air. She didn't fall off, but came down on her wrist/hand wrong. So being the mean mother that I am, I made her drive the rest of the way home crying, tucking her wrist in her stomach because it hurt so bad. I didn't know of any other way to get all of us home other than that. It immediately started to swell and the palm of her hand was bruising by the time we got home. We iced it and elevated it, but it didn't seem to get much better. So off to the ER we went. We were there about 3 hours, which was better than the 7 that some of the other people had been there. The ER was FULL of people... very sick people nonetheless. After 8 x-rays, they found no breaks, just a really bad sprain. So she is wearing a wrap on her hand/wrist for a week and is out of PE (don't think that hurt her feelings!). Of course if you know Brooke, she is very hot blooded (gets that from Gma Wanda!) and it's been warm the last couple days so she wants to take that wrap off as soon as she gets home from school. So.... we left the ER, drove through Long John Silvers to get Blake and Jeff some supper and ..... it hit me.... hard....like a ton of bricks... the flu! Oh how I was wishing Brooke was 16 or at least close to 16 so she could drive us home! I really thought I was going to die before we got home. I started vomiting at 9:00 and finally quit at 4 a.m. It was horrible. I had such a migraine yesterday that I couldn't get off of the couch and my muscles and my back hurt so bad that I couldn't hardly walk. I guess that was from the violent vomiting and diarrhea! I know.... TMI (too much info). Sorry. Wanda finally brought me some prescription pain pills last night around 5:00 and that broke my migraine and fever. Still not feeling good today, but I did go back to school. When you teach, you have to forget about taking care of yourself to take care of everyone else's damn kids. Still haven't eaten much. It feels like a semi has driven through my stomach. My dad has it today. I feel so bad for him. I feel his pain. We got home from school today to find Jeff mowing. Doesn't he realize that we are going to have to mow now every week? No, I mean I will have to mow every week. He got rained out of planting so he took it upon himself to mow. He now has Brooke on the mower. I can't imagine her liking it for too long. We have a huge yard, there is no way she could mow very much of it. She's only 9! I guess that's when I started mowing. She wanted to learn last year, but we thought we'd better wait another year. It will be a great help though to have her help with all of this yard work. I guess this is one more thing that shows how grown up she is getting!

1 comments:

Runaway Farm said...

Sorry you were so sick! My kids only threw up once but then I quit feeding them -- they didn't want anything anyway. I only had a headache and diaherra but Aaron had it both ways. We are all feeling better today but we are staying low the next few days. Sounds like that norovirus that is going around. I hope the rest of your fam doesn't get it and that Brooke's arm gets better soon!